ID Awareness & Security
Identity & Fraud Protection
Protecting the identity of our members is a top priority at New Mexico Educators Federal Credit Union. We urge you to spend time reviewing this essential information.
What Is Identity Theft?
Identity theft happens when your personal information, such as your Social Security number, name, physical address, date of birth, account number, etc., is stolen with the intent to commit fraud or theft.
1. Contact us immediately with any change to your address or phone number.
2. Check your credit report at least once a year. Get your free copy at www.annualcreditreport.com.
3. Immediately correct all mistakes on your credit reports in writing.
4. Monitor your billing statements of existing accounts for unusual or unauthorized activity.
5. Be cautious about giving personal information (account numbers, expiration dates, SSN, etc.). New Mexico Educators FCU will never call you or send you an e-mail asking you to verify personal information.
6. Protect your computer. Installing up-to-date Anti-Virus software, spyware and firewalls will minimize the risk of your computer being compromised or hacked.
7. Use only secure websites when making transactions online. Look for the "lock" icon next to the URL address.
8. Be aware of phishing scams in which someone e-mails or calls you and wants to "verify" your personal information.
9. Cancel unused credit cards.
10. Clean out your wallet. Only carry the identification and credit cards you use, keep the others in a secure location.
11. Don't leave mail in an unsecured mailbox. Use a U.S. Post Office mailbox for correspondence.
13. Completely destroy or shred copies of credit card receipts, statements from financial institutions, tax returns and loan applications.
Complimentary Identity Protection
Complimentary to All of Our Members: VRS Elite™ Fraud Resolution Services
If you have a question about fraud or think you are a victim of identity theft, simply call 866-443-3728 - toll-free 24/7. Services include case file creation, victim statements, fraud affidavits, and much more.
Additional Identity Protection Available
Additional products and services are available at a 25% discount if you have a checking account at New Mexico Educators Federal Credit Union. Before ordering supplemental products, call our Anywhere Advisors at 889-7755 or 800-347-2838 (outside the Albuquerque area) and request your discount code word. Then place your order online or by calling toll-free 866-443-3728 Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (Mountain Time).
You can optimize your identity protection by adding:
- $25,000 of broad identity insurance, including lost wages up to $10,000, reasonable legal fees and court costs, reasonable and necessary travel costs, and reimbursement for actual losses up to $5,000.
- Access to a comprehensive online resource guide that includes loss prevention steps to reduce the likelihood of becoming an identity fraud victim.
- Detailed analysis of privacy and security issues, along with worksheets and action items to help gain back your identity.
Individual: $24.95/year (18.71 with your discount)
Family: $44.95/year ($33.71 with your discount)
Identity Fraud Gold provides an annual subscription for 24-hr credit monitoring of Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion credit records with daily alert notification back to the member of any significant changes. It also provides one Experian credit report and "smart" score and all of the benefits provided in the Core Identity Protection Plan, however, identity insurance is increased to a $1,000,000 limit.
The alert notification means that the member will be notified of any significant changes to their credit reports on a daily basis (i.e., new accounts, change of address, etc.) Please note that credit rating changes such as past due indicators or payment changes are not considered significant and are deemed as normal activity. If there is nothing to report, a monthly email is sent to members indicating “No news is good news”.
Individual Plan: Member Price – $89.95/ Year
Not all identity theft can be detected by monitoring credit reports. That's why Identity Fraud Platinum also monitors:
- Court Records: criminal actions associated with your name, birth date, and/or Social Security number.
- Public Records: names and addresses affiliated with your Social Security number, address history and any changes to the same.
- Non-Credit Loans: short-term, high-interest payday loan activity that doesn't require a credit inquiry.
- IF Cyber Monitor: Continuous internet surveillance of Web sites, chat rooms and bulletin boards for criminal selling or trading of your personal information online.
- Sex Offender Report: the only program that alerts you to sex offenders residing in your zip code or moving in to your neighborhood, as well as any use of your identity by known offenders nationally.
Individual Plan: Member Price – $139.95/ Year
The information provided here is for information purposes only. All products are subject to specific terms, conditions and limitations. Identity insurance in NY has a maximum $25,000 limit. Prices subject to change.
- Federal Trade Commission: www.ftc.gov/idtheft or 877-438-4338
- Free Annual Credit Report: www.annualcreditreport.com or 877-322-8228
- Identity Theft Resource Center (includes pages in Spanish): www.idtheftcenter.org
- International Updates on Phishing Scams: www.antiphishing.org
- United States Department of Justice: http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/fraud/websites/idtheft.html